Sunday, February 16, 2020

February 16, 2020

As you saw on my last post, we bought a fixer upper camper, and as the cold, wet, weather has allowed, we have made some progress.  The first thing to do of course, is to make sure it is weatherproof, look for all causes of leaks and fix them.  We found two holes in the roof that we patched and sealed with either eternabond, a metal patch or both.  We replaced the damaged AC shroud with a new one, and we repaired the back corner, top and bottom where it looked like it was run past a tree or something. 

Next we had to uncover related areas in the inside to see what damage might need replacing.  We cut out a square in the cabinet over the bed and pretty much removed the back wall covering, and took out some rotten wood.  As we were looking over these spots and as weather allowed, we started removing all the windows, painting them while they were out, adding two layers of butyl tape and putting them back in, as we do not want any new repairs to go to waste by getting water damage.

When the weather was too wet/cold, Sherri was working on the inside by tearing out the dinette and a closet, painting the stove/oven and oven hood, painting the backsplash (after the window was replaced) and adding some faux marble subway tiles that she cut out of shelf liner, painting the refrigerator, tearing out the old linoleum and starting to replace with the new linoleum.  Additionally, two walls were patched and primed to get them ready for some wallpaper that will look like beadboard.  She also worked on accessories such as a dragon painting and pillow and some gingerbread trim for one of the outside windows.



In addition to the camper, life goes on.  So we have planned out the garden, gathered our seeds.

Additionally, a co-worker of my husband's had a baby shower, so I made her some nursing pads, burp cloths and a baby blanket and contributed a caramel chocolate cheesecake to the baby shower. 


We celebrated our daughter's birthday by meeting at her house with food, a truck and a trailer.  Her husband, dad and brother gathered construction debris from the backyard and took it to the landfill.  That's what she wanted. . .





Monday, February 3, 2020

February 3, 2020

The opening of my booth has been pushed back another month.  It has been so cold and wet that it is just not very enticing to go out in the workshop for long periods of time.

So, we have a new project.  A small Prowler Lynx travel trailer.    Bought as a fixer upper of course.


Stick around while we fix it up to the theme of "Fairy Tale Cottage."


Around the farm, we are finally starting to get decent weather.  It is so exciting when things start growing.  The daffodils are starting to come up.  The cuttings I put in the ground last year from Andrea Deyrup's elderberries are showing new growth, and the tomato seedlings that my husband planted are starting to come up!

Monday, January 20, 2020

January 20, 2020

The dangers of being an upcycler. . .So my husband is a teacher and we go to his student football games in support (in addition to dance, choir, etc.) So our old football stadium seats wore out in non-fixable places and we got some new ones (after about 10 years). Immediately, I missed the pockets on our old stadium seats and cut them off to sew onto the new seats. Then I decided I could use the foam seats on some chairs. Then I found a few other things I could use and I am left with this: which my husband will be taking out to the shop to remove the flat metal pieces for support of a wood stove pipe we are putting in the shop, and the round metal pieces might be useful in the future to turn a drawer into one that holds hanging file folders. . .Can you relate? What am I missing?




Amazing how you can fix something just by removing the problem parts, and adding a few leftovers from other projects. Bought this china cabinet for $20 to use as a display piece for my upcoming booth. Used leftover plywood for some extra shelves, took off the glass front, Left off the front bottom cabinet door that came hanging off. Painted the knobs and cabinet, and added some leftover wallpaper. I have a few little holes to patch and a little touch up paint to do.





Details are coming together.  Finished painting my booth sign.  I think it goes really well with the display case.






Picked up a wood high chair for my grandson and painted it white, as well as fixed a missing piece of braided trim that is meant to keep a child from sliding out of the chair.  Luckily it was a leftover piece of the stadium seat that we took apart.










I am making one French Provincial table into two matching night stands. I just cut it in half and copied the upper portion of the table.  Funny, I posted the process on a site so everyone could learn that you can take one item and multiply it into two matching ones, and someone complained that I had ruined it.  To each his own.  I have learned to value people, and remember the reason we have things is for their usefulness. . .


Lucky me!!! I found a bolt of graphic print upholstery fabric at the thrift shop that I loved. My pillows got some new covers.





My son-in-law is so smart. He realized that the reason his son was so fussy when we changed him was because the plastic on the changing pad was cold. I made them some flannel covers.