Thursday, May 3, 2018

May 3, 2018

New chicks arrived today at the post office.  We got Cornish Cross to try this time, along with some black Australorps to replenish our egg layers.  To keep the chicks from getting out of the chicken tractor, we had to block the front and back sides at the bottom with cardboard.  We love our 4 x 4 brooder.  It does take a lot of storage space though.  We usually hang it.

Tomorrow is my daughter's graduation and we are doing a barbecue reception afterwards, so I have been working on decorations.  I needed a banner that would be long enough to tie across a picnic shelter.  In the picture, you can see that I used clothespins to help it stay together while the glue dried.

I have been making myself some jewelry and replenishing my clothes so I will have some that fit me now that I have lost weight.  The black set I made out of a thrift store necklace that only cost seventy-five cents.  The blue and white set was also from some vintage necklaces I picked up at the thrift store.  The red set was made from some glass beads I picked up at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 (with a 40% off coupon) along with some crystals I already had.  I even made my husband a new tie tack!  This is so much fun!  I also made a rack for my necklaces and bracelets using some leftover wood, some half staples (that my husband ground down the tips on - thanks honey!) and an olive jar.  I love creative projects!

Since we got some new bees, I have been worried about them drowning in the frog pond.  It has steep sides and it has happened before, so I wanted something to float in the middle of the pond.  I went to the dollar tree and bought a pot with a large lip on it and a pool noodle that I cut to fit the sides and strung it together with string.  It floats!  I hope it will do the trick for the bees as well as be pretty.  I planted some portulaca in it so it will hopefully grow and drape over the sides.  I also chose portulaca as it can remain dry longer and I didn't know how often it would get watered (there is no hole in the bottom of the pot).

The Asian pears and
Moonglow pears have quite a bit of fruit on them finally!  Yay!  After 7 years of having fruit trees planted, we are finally getting abundant fruit!  We got a few Asian pears last year, but only enough to eat and not preserve. I hope to get some in jars or dried this year.

The Liberty apple tree looks full of apples, and we even have a few peaches from the Leah peach tree (my daughter planted a peach pit and it grew into this tree and survived a move from our last home.)

Good things come to those who wait.  The irises have been beautiful this year.  Life is good. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment